Solo is the quarterly magazine of the Solicitors Sole Practitioners Group. The magazine has recently acquired a new editor in Stephen Roberts and its current edition has a piece written by the lawyer Susan Singleton of Singletons entitled "Big legal publishers - Don't you just love them?" Ms Singleton took pen to paper having seen a previous edition where a writer criticised big legal publishers.
At page 7 of the latest edition, Ms Singleton provides a helpful list of ways to not only making money out of legal publishers but also keeping up to date with developments in your field. These include:
- Subscribe to nothing unless there is a major business case for it
- Write for as many publications as you can
- Join relevant legal committees for areas where you are involved
- Never buy any product which is free or available on the internet elsewhere
- Do not assume that because another firm or many firms have a product that a sole practice "has to have it."